Mitacs and Compute Canada partner to support innovation in advanced research computing
Academic and industry researchers will join forces to foster R&D in Canada
November 12, 2015, TORONTO, ON —Mitacs and Compute Canada are collaborating to support the development of advanced research computing (ARC) skills across Canada to address the growing needs in industry for high performance computing and big data expertise.
The partnership will focus on leveraging the ARC expertise of graduate and postdoctoral fellows engaged with Compute Canada in a variety of disciplines to build connections to address the growing need for high-performance computing internships from industry.
Through a memorandum of understanding (MOU), ARC researchers in academia and industry will access Mitacs Accelerate funding and training opportunities. University researchers will develop a better understanding of industry needs, while participating companies get access to the expertise and resources to help them stay competitive in the global marketplace.
Access to expertise in high performance computing and big data analytics are essential components for sectors such as advanced manufacturing, life sciences, and natural resources. The projects emerging from this MOU will help make Canada a leader in big data analytics and high performance computing.
Josette-Renée Landry, Vice President, Business Development, Mitacs
“Partnering with Compute Canada is an exciting step for Mitacs. Big data is a growing aspect of research across all disciplines, and we look forward to supporting projects that will make a difference in the research community and in the lives of all Canadians.”
Kelly Nolan, Executive Director, External Affairs
“Through this partnership, the advanced research computing community will have stronger pathways for research to industry careers through the Mitacs programs. It is an important step towards creating a more competitive and digitally skilled workforce.”
Quick facts about Mitacs:
- Mitacs is a national, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered research and training programs in Canada for 15 years.
- Working with 60 universities, thousands of companies, and both federal and provincial governments, we build partnerships that support industrial and social innovation in Canada.
- Mitacs’ Accelerate program connects graduate students with industry partners for research internships supervised by faculty. In 2014–15, Mitacs supported almost 3,200 Accelerate internships with 700 companies.
Quick facts about Compute Canada:
- Compute Canada — in partnership with regional organizations ACENET, Calcul Québec, Compute Ontario and WestGrid — leads the acceleration of research and innovation by deploying state-of-the-art advanced research computing (ARC) systems, storage, and software solutions.
- Their world-class team of more than 200 experts employed by 34 partner universities and research institutions across the country provide direct support to research teams in all academic and industrial sectors.
For information about Mitacs and our programs, see mitacs.ca/newsroom.