Terms of Reference
French ➤The purpose of the Compute Canada Calcul Canada Inc. (the “Corporation” or “CC”) Advisory Research Council is to advise, counsel and guide the CC Board of Directors (the “Board”) on critical issues affecting the Canadian research community. The Advisory Research Council will be responsible for representing the interests of all disciplines and all sectors, i.e. academia, government and industry.
- The Advisory Research Council shall be composed of that number of members as determined from time to time by the Board. The membership shall, to the extent feasible, encompass the range of disciplines and sectors using the infrastructure now and in future, meaning that a total membership of nine (9) to fifteen (15) individuals is recommended.
- The Advisory Research Council members shall be appointed by the Board for terms of such length and sequence that ensures the availability of advice and counsel as well as the continuity of corporate knowledge and Advisory Research Council operations.
- The Board shall designate one Director to be an ex officio member of the Advisory Research Council and an operational linkage between the Board and the Advisory Research Council, with a report from the Advisory Research Council as a regular agenda item at all Board meetings.
- Collectively, and to the extent feasible, the committee shall include:
- Representation from a variety of scientific disciplines including researchers from disciplines which are heavy, moderate and light users of the infrastructure as well as researchers from disciplines that are not current or typical users of shared advanced computing infrastructure;
- National representation, appropriate gender representation and official language skills;
- Experiences representing a broad community of interests;
- Experience using CC current services; and
- Knowledge of potential or emerging services as they evolve or are required by the research community.
The Chair of the Advisory Research Council shall be appointed by the Board for a three-year term, which may be renewed.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The Advisory Research Council shall be responsible to the Board but may, from time to time, be asked to provide advice and counsel to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the CSO.
- The Advisory Research Council shall advise, counsel and guide the Board through presentations, papers and other methods chosen for their relevance to particular issues (see Meetings).
- The Advisory Research Council shall provide such advice, counsel and guidance as follows:
- By preparing an annual review of CC performance in fulfilling its primary purpose, that is, the promotion and support the shared use of advanced computing to enable research and innovation for the socio-economic benefit of Canada.
- By providing advice relating to the research community and the manner in which its needs are expected to evolve through a report to the Board and the CEO well in advance of the development of the CC strategic plan.
- By communicating on a regular basis the operational, architectural and user support issues identified by the research community.
- By counseling the Board on its oversight of the resource allocation process; and
- By identifying potential members for appointment to the Advisory Research Council
- The Advisory Research Council may be asked to assist the CSO and CEO by:
- Reviewing and critiquing proposals related to the science enabled by the infrastructure, in particular those addressing the expansion and/or renewal of the infrastructure;
- Providing assistance in identifying user needs; and
- Bringing forward operational, architectural and user support issues identified by the research community;
The Advisory Research Council shall hold such meetings as are required to carry out this mandate, generally at least three (3) times per year and as often as required thereafter to discharge its duties and responsibilities.
- Meeting may be in person, and/or by electronic means;
- Notice of meetings and their agenda shall be circulated in advance to all Advisory Research Council members and to the Board; and
- The Advisory Research Council shall conduct an annual meeting in person coordinated with the annual strategy and planning process of the Board.
The Advisory Research Council shall maintain minutes of each meeting, which shall be circulated to the Board and retained as a part of the corporate records.
Conflict of Interest
There may be occasions when a member of the Advisory Research Council is in conflict owing to the possible effect of the resolution of an issue on his or her institution, and in such situations the member will be excused from participation in either discussions or decisions.